Join Our Team as Campaign Director (click)
Job Title: Campaign Director, Albemarle County Democratic Party
Office Location: Charlottesville, VA
Full/Part Time: Subject to negotiation and to the applicant’s experience, this position can potentially range from half time to full time.
Regular/Temporary: Contract position running through November 17, 2017
Reports to: Chair of the Albemarle County Democratic Committee
About Us: The Albemarle County Democratic Committee is local committee of the Democratic Party of Virginia and is organized to promote and support the nominees of the Democratic Party in all national, state, and local elections. We seek to educate the public on the ideals of the Party and the qualifications of our nominees for office and encourage interested individuals to register to vote and join the Party.
Major Functions/Accountabilities: The Campaign Director will implement that Albemarle County Coordinated Campaign plan to elect Democrats up and down the November, 2017, ballot. They will assist all Democratic nominees and endorsed candidates in executing their campaigns at the direction of the Chair and Steering Committee of the Albemarle Democratic Committtee. General duties include:
Volunteer Recruitment, Retention, and Management
- Tap in to existing volunteer networks as well as bring new volunteers to the local political process.
- Organize events to keep current volunteers engaged and establish relationships with potential new volunteers.
- Manage volunteer resources efficiently and effectively to accomplish voter contact goals.
Voter Registration and Contact
- Perform direct voter contact for 10-15 hours per week
- Coordinate voter registration drives, with a concentration on moderate-to- high turnover neighborhoods as well as students.
- Organize persuasion/ID canvasses and phonebanks in conjunction with local campaigns.
- Oversee mail campaigns on behalf of Coordinated efforts.
- Report on progress of efforts to local campaigns and Democratic Committee.
- Utilize VAN database to maintain accurate and up-to- date voter file records.
Party Building and Public Relations
- Support party activities and events.
- Work with partner campaigns to find an office.
- Ensure a Party presence at community events.
- Assure that the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are presented in a strong, positive image.
- Act as liaison to media, respond to inquiries from the public.
- Effectiveness and experience in grassroots organizing.
- Strong management skills and experience.
- Leadership in strategy and partnership building.
- Excellent understanding of issues relating to the local politics.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Salary: Negotiable and commensurate with experience. Please submit salary expectations in cover letter.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter with salary expectations
Application deadline: Applications to be considered on rolling basis beginning April 1, 2017.
Please send materials electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please no phone calls.
The Albemarle County Democratic Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Affiliate and resistance orgs:
OneVirginia2021: http://onevirginia2021.org/ - @1VA2021 - https://www.facebook.com/OneVirginia2021/
Progressive Democrats of Virginia: http://chapters.pdamerica.org/ - @pdamerica - https://www.facebook.com/PDAmerica/
Virginia Organizing: https://www.virginia-organizing.org/ - @VaOrganizing - https://www.facebook.com/VirginiaOrganizing/
Indivisible #VA05: @IndivisibleVA05 - https://www.facebook.com/indivisiblecharlottesville/
Five Calls: https://5calls.org/ - @Make5Calls
Democratic Socialists of Charlottesville: https://www.facebook.com/pg/CvilleDSA/about/
The 2016 Election in Albemarle
During the first phase of the campaign, volunteers from the Party and the campaign added 6,000 voters to a roll! That's the first step in engaging the community and getting out the vote.
Subsequent canvassing, phone banking and other voter contacts lead to an excellent 73% turnout, with 56,000 people voting in Albemarle this year.
Albemarle voters overwhelmingly came out for Democratic candidates and positions. Hillary Clinton carried Albemarle with 59% of the vote; University Hall was a standout with nearly 3 in 4 voters selecting Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine.
Voters also delivered Albemarle for Jane Dittmar, providing over thirty thousand votes in her race for the 5th District.
We also saw results in important ballot measures: -The anti-union "Right To Work" was defeated -The School Bond referendum was overwhelmingly supported
Strength In The Future
There's no doubt, Democrats all across the country are lamenting the outcomes up and down the ticket. And while there will be many lessons to learn from this upsetting result, here in Albemarle County this election has brimmed with energy. And we'll carry that energy with us going forward as we fight to keep the Governor's Mansion, continue fielding progressive candidates for the Board of Supervisors and preparing the way for state house races.
We can't wait to start knocking on doors, and we hope you'll join us!